This year we’re taking SIRF around the Tees Valley with an exciting new project, funded by Arts Council England and Tees Valley Combined Authority. This new partnership, along with SIRF and the five Tees Valley authorities (Stockton Borough Council, Darlington Borough Council, Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council, Hartlepool Borough Council and Middlesbrough Council) will see an ambitious outdoor theatre performance in each of the Tees Valley locations from August-October 2018.
SIRF favourites Periplum will premiere The Glass Ceiling, an ambitious new visual theatre work marking 100 years since the first British women were given the right to vote. Inspired by the Suffragettes and Suffragists, the show celebrates activists from the Tees Valley region whose courage propelled this historic movement to achieve political recognition. Sensory, spectacular and uplifting, this performance uses innovative staging, pyrotechnic design, new music, writing and aerial performance in a gritty depiction of the struggle to gain the vote and break through a glass ceiling.
The show will premiere at SIRF and tour the Tees Valley in autumn, including:
- Stockton-on-Tees, Trinity Green on Friday 3 and Saturday 4 August (SIRF)
- Darlington, Market Square on Friday 7 September
- Redcar & Cleveland, Kirkleatham Grounds on Friday 5 October
- Hartlepool, Ward Jackson Park on Friday 19 October
- Middlesbrough, Centre Square on Saturday 27 October